How We Use Personal InformationWhat Information do we collect?
- Your name, address and order details and other information that you provide by to us on www.yankeecandlesa.co.za (our site) (e.g when making purchases, subscribing to Yankee marketing material, entering a competition or asking questions or sending us correspondence).
- Details of transactions you carry out through our site and of the fulfilment of your orders. (Note that our site does not directly collect any credit card information. However it does integrate with a secure payment gateway provider called VCS who will process credit card payments on our behalf. For more information visit www.vcs.co.za).
- Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data.
We use your information as follows:
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have opted in to be contacted for such purposes.
- To process purchases, refunds, exchanges and other transactions.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
- To analyse for fraud protection and credit risk.
- Subject to the appropriate permissions, to send information about our goods and services which may be of interest to you by e-mail.
- If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale to you.
- We will not allow third parties to use your data except where required by law or where you have consented. If you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this.
In order to provide you with services we may share your personal information with members of our corporate group and also with our trusted services providers including but not limited to VCS (our payment provider) and our delivery partners. You agree that some of these entities may be located outside the South African Economic Area.
Additionally we may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we are involved in a business transaction such as a merger, an acquisition, or any form of sale of all or a part of our business or assets we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Yankee, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
IP Addresses and Cookies
Information Automatically Logged
This site collects your browser’s IP address to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer our site. This site records the browser type to monitor market penetration of various web browsers so we can better determine the Internet technologies we may utilize in the design of our pages.
This site uses page referrer data which is information about the page that linked you to this page; to determine to what extent our page is referenced by other resources on the Web.
This data may be used to preserve the integrity of our computing resources (i.e. to recognise malicious attacks etc.) and enables us to provide you with the best shopping experience that we can by tailoring information to fit your personal preferences.
A cookie is a small amount of data sent from our server and stored on your computer's hard drive.
We use the following four different types of cookies on the site:
- Cookies that are strictly necessary for the operation of the site: These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the site and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the site. Without these cookies services you have asked for, like shopping baskets or e-billing, cannot be provided.
- Performance cookies: These cookies collect information about how visitors use a website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies don’t collect information that identifies a visitor. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. It is only used to improve how the site works.
- Functionality cookies: These cookies allow the site to remember choices you make (such as your user name, language or the region which you are in) and provide enhanced, more personal features. For instance, a website may be able to provide you with local weather reports or traffic news by storing in a cookie the region in which you are currently located. These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to text size, fonts and other parts of web pages that you can customise. They may also be used to provide services which you have asked for such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. The information these cookies collect may be anonymised and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
- Targeting/Advertising cookies: These are cookies used to track and analyze usage and volume statistical information from individuals who visit websites. These cookies are also used to deliver adverts more relevant to you and your interests. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement as well as help measure the effectiveness of the advertising campaign. They are usually placed by advertising networks with the website operator’s permission. They remember that you have visited a website and this information is shared with other organisation such as advertisers. Quite often targeting or advertising cookies will be linked to site functionality provided by the other organisations.
Your choices about cookies
You can choose to disable or manage cookies as follows:
Find out how to disable/enable cookies by clicking on the “Manage Cookies” section of the Interactive Advertising Bureau UK website on the following link http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
We may use Adobe Flash Player to display video or image content. It may not possible to block or restrict flash cookies using your browser settings. However information on how to control flash player privacy and security settings is available from the Adobe website at: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/security.
We do not knowingly collect personal data from children. You must not submit your personal information to our site if you are under 16 years of age.
We do not provide information about our personal data practices in relation to children on our home page, or at those sites on our site where we collect personal data.
Confidentiality / Security
We give visitors to our site the option of using a secure transmission method to send us their personal data for making orders or registering to use the customer account management area.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers or servers maintained by VCS in South Africa. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. We have implemented security policies, rules and technical measures to protect the personal data that we have under our control from:
- unauthorised access
- improper use or disclosure
- unauthorised modification
All our employees and data processors, who have access to, and are associated with the processing of personal data, are obliged to respect the confidentiality of our visitors' personal data.
We ensure that your personal data will not be disclosed to third party organizations and government authorities except if required by law or other regulation.
Links to External Sites
This site contains links to other sites. Yankee is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.
Privacy Support and Access to Your Personal Information
This privacy statement was last updated April 2014.
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you.
Any access request may be subject to a legally applicable fee.
Verified by Visa Overview
Verified by Visa, also known as 3-D Secure, is an extra level of security developed by Visa and MasterCard to improve the security of payments and transactions offered to customers over the Internet. When you initiate a transaction using one of these card issuers you will be redirected to the website of your card-issuing bank to authorise the transaction. You will have to enter your password, or create one if you don’t already have one, which will then redirect you back to our site to complete your order. If you are creating a password, you can then use this password on any other site that uses 3-D Secure technology. Please note: this password is separate from the one you use to log in to our site.Change to Conditions
We reserve the right to change the Conditions from time to time, and your continued use of the Website (or any part thereof) following such change shall be deemed to be your acceptance of such change. It is your responsibility to check regularly to determine whether the Conditions have been changed. If you do not agree to any change to the Conditions then you must immediately stop using the website.
Information about us
www.yankeecandlesa.co.za (the “Website”) is a site operated by Yankee Candle Europe Ltd (“We/Yankee”). We are registered in England and Wales under company number 3530345 and have our registered office at [ ]. Our main trading address is [ ]. Our VAT number is GB 713 2026 85 We are a limited company.
Terms of Website UseAccessing the Website
Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis, and we reserve the right to withdraw or amend the service we provide on our site without notice (see below). We will not be liable if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
From time to time, we may restrict access to some parts of our site, or our entire site, to users who have registered with us.
Information about you and your visit to the Website
Reliance on Information Posted
Commentary and other materials posted on our site are not intended to amount to advice on which reliance should be placed. We therefore disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such materials by any visitor to our site, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents.
Intellectual property and right to use
You acknowledge and agree that all copyright, trademarks and all other intellectual property rights in all material or content supplied as part of the Website shall remain at all times vested in us or our licensors. All such rights are reserved. You are permitted to use this material only as expressly authorised by us or our licensors.
You acknowledge and agree that the material and content contained within the Website is made available for your personal non-commercial use only and that you may download such material and content onto only one computer hard drive for such purpose. Any other use of the material and content of the Website is strictly prohibited.
You agree not to (and agree not to assist or facilitate any third party to) copy, reproduce, transmit, publish, display, distribute, commercially exploit or create derivative works or otherwise use in whole or in part any material, content or products obtained from this Website.
Compliance with laws
The Website may be used only for lawful purposes and in a lawful manner. You agree to comply with all applicable laws, statutes and regulations regarding the website and any transactions conducted on or through the Website.
Third Party Links
In an attempt to provide increased value to our customers, we may provide links to other Yankee Candle online services or resources or third party websites. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, and do not endorse and are not responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.
Terms Relating to Purchase of ProductsCustomer orders
For the steps you need to take to place an order on our website please see [ADD LINK].. All orders are subject to acceptance in accordance with our order acknowledgement policy and availability. If the Product you have ordered is not available from stock you will not be able to place an order on the Website. However, if an order is accepted for which there is no current stock you will be contacted by email and will have the option either to wait until the item is available from stock or to cancel your order in accordance with our Cancellation Policy.
We will take all reasonable care, in so far as it is in our power to do so, to keep the details of your order and payment secure, but in the absence of negligence on our part we cannot be held liable for any loss you may suffer if a third party procures unauthorised access to any data you provide when accessing or ordering from the Website.
Order acknowledgement policy
Please note that your order will become a legally binding contract entered in between us upon despatch of your order. Your receipt of an electronic or other form of order confirmation does not signify our acceptance of your order, nor does it constitute confirmation of our offer to sell. Yankee reserves the right at any time after receipt of your order to accept or decline your order for any reason. Yankee reserves the right at any time after receipt of your order, without prior notice to you, to supply less than the quantity you ordered of any item. All orders placed over £1000.00 (Inc. VAT) must obtain pre-approval with an acceptable method of payment, as established by our credit and fraud avoidance department. We may require additional verifications or information before accepting any order. We reserve the right to reject any offer to purchase by you at any time.
Please see our Returns Policy for details.
Yankee stands by the high quality of all its products. Each product will have been inspected prior to packing. Damaged goods may be returned. Please see our Returns Policy for details. As a consumer, you have legal rights in relation to Products that are faulty or not as described. Advice about your legal rights is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office. Nothing in these Conditions will affect these legal rights.
Description of products
All details and descriptions of products appearing on the Website are correct at the time of input. Although we aim to keep the Website as up to date as possible, the information appearing at a particular time may not always reflect the position exactly at the moment you place an order. The images of the Products on the Website are for illustrative purposes only. Although we have made every effort to display the colours accurately, we cannot guarantee that your computer's display of the colours accurately reflect the colour of the Products. Your Products may vary slightly from those images.
Our site contains a large number of Products. It is always possible that, despite our best efforts, some of the Products on our site may be incorrectly priced. If we discover an error in the price of the Products you have ordered we will contact you to inform you of this error and we will give you the option of continuing to purchase the Product at the correct price or cancelling your order. We will not process your order until we have your instructions. If we are unable to contact you using the contact details you provided during the order process, we will treat the order as cancelled and notify you in writing. Please note that if the pricing error is obvious and unmistakeable and could have reasonably been recognised by you as a mispricing, we do not have to provide the Products to you at the incorrect (lower) price.
Please see Delivery Rates for details of estimated delivery dates and delivery costs. The delivery times are estimates and from time to time may be effected by events outside our control for which we will not be responsible.
All prices are inclusive of VAT. You will receive an electronic confirmation of receipt of your order via email. Payment can be made by any of the specified Payment Methods. Payment is taken on despatch of the Products. Payment will be debited and cleared by NetBanx Ltd online payment services. For more information visit www.netbanx.com You confirm that the credit/debit card that is being used is yours. All credit/debit card holders are subject to validation checks and authorisation by the card issuer. If the issuer of your payment card refuses to authorise payment to us, we will not be liable for any delay or non-delivery.
Yankee offers the following variety of payment methods:
- Visa Electron
Please be sure to provide your exact billing address and telephone number - the address and phone number your credit card company has on file for you. Incorrect information may cause a delay in processing your order.
Refusal of transaction
We reserve the right to withdraw any products from the website at any time and/or remove, screen or edit any materials or content. We may refuse to process a transaction for any reason or refuse service to anyone at any time at our sole discretion. We will not be liable to you or any third party by reason of our withdrawing any product from the Website, whether or not that product has been sold; removing, screening or editing any materials or content; refusing to process a transaction or suspending any transaction after processing has begun.
The eligibility to purchase products on the Website is limited to those parties who satisfy our eligibility criteria. By making an offer to buy a product, you specifically authorise us to transmit information (including any updated information) or to obtain information about you from third parties from time to time, including but not limited to your credit card number or credit reports (including credit reports for your spouse if you reside in a community property jurisdiction), to authenticate your identity, to validate your credit card, to obtain an initial credit card authorisation and to authorise individual purchase transactions.
Credit card security
All orders are 'encrypted' to ensure safe transmission to us. We utilise secure server software (SSL) through 3D Secure to ensure your information cannot be read as it travels over the Internet.
To be eligible to order products on the Website and lawfully enter into and form contracts on the Website under English law you must register by providing your real name, phone number, email address, credit card details and other requested information. Purchases on the Website can only be made by those individuals aged over 18 years of age who meet these terms of eligibility, who have been issued a valid credit card by a bank acceptable to us, whose applications are acceptable to us and who have authorised us to process a charge or charges on their credit card in the amount of the total purchase price for any products which they purchase.
General Terms and ConditionsIndemnity
You agree fully to indemnify, defend and hold us, and our officers, directors, employees, agents and suppliers, harmless immediately on demand, from and against all claims, liability, damages, losses, costs and expenses, including legal fees, arising out of any breach of the Conditions by you or any other liabilities arising out of your use of this Website, or the use by any other person accessing the Website using your user details.
Limitation of liability
The Website is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis without any representation or endorsement made and we make no guarantees or warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, in relation to the Website, or any transaction that may be conducted on or through the Website.
We make no representation or warranty that the Website will meet your requirements or will be uninterrupted, timely, secure or error-free, that defects will be corrected, or that the Website or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs or represents the full functionality, accuracy, reliability of the materials. We will not be responsible or liable to you for any loss of content or material uploaded or transmitted through the Website.
Yankee will not be liable, in contract, tort (including, without limitation, negligence), pre-contract or other representations (other than fraudulent or negligent misrepresentations) or otherwise out of or in connection with the Conditions for:
- any economic losses (including without limitation loss of revenues, profits, contracts, business or anticipated savings); or
- any loss of goodwill or reputation; or
- any special or indirect or consequential losses.
In any case whether or not such losses were within the contemplation of the parties at the date of the Conditions, suffered or incurred by that party arising out of or in connection with the provisions of any material under the Conditions. Nothing in the Conditions shall exclude or limit our liability for death or personal injury resulting from our negligence or that of our servants, agents or employees nor for any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
If any part of the Conditions shall be deemed unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed to be severable from the Conditions and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any of the remaining provisions of the Conditions.
If we fail to insist that you perform any of your obligations under these Conditions, or if we do not enforce our rights against you, or if we delay in doing so, that will not mean that we have waived our rights against you and will not mean that you do not have to comply with those obligations. If we do waive a default by you, we will only do so in writing, and that will not mean that we will automatically waive any later default by you.
Each provision of the Conditions shall be construed as separately applying and surviving even if for any reason one or other of those provisions is held to be inapplicable or unenforceable in any circumstances.
We intend to rely upon these Conditions and any document expressly referred to in them in relation to the Contract between you and us. While we accept responsibility for statements and representations made by our duly authorised agents, please make sure you ask for any variations from these Conditions to be confirmed in writing.
The Conditions and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connections with them or their subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of South Africa and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of South Africa.
Online gift certificates are used for online purchases and are currently available for Yankee Candle South Africa purchases only on yankeecandlesa.co.za.
An online gift certificate cannot be exchanged for cash. They are valid for 24 months from date of purchase. An online gift certificate will be despatched by email as soon as payment has been cleared. Yankee Candle Europe Ltd. are not responsible for any delays in sending the voucher. From time to time an online gift certificate may be caught in spam filters or other security arrangements. Once we have despatched the voucher it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure it can be received.